AS/400 Systems Engineer
Company: CompuScienceIT, LLC
Location: St Louis, Mo
Salary: Market Sr
JAS/400 Systems Developer/Engineer
• Effective communications and with an ability to work in a fast paced, very dynamic, multi-tasking environment.
• Provide system support 24x7, as needed. Requires rotating on-call assignments, occasional evening and weekend/holiday hours as determined by the needs of the business.
• Monitor enterprise-level Power systems to maintain performance levels within set constraints and react appropriately to situations.
• Daily monitoring of the IBM i for system resources including processor, disk and system memory for capacity, performance and efficiency.
• Check systems logs for error and warning messages, looking for all existing or potential software, hardware, system resource or security problems, taking prompt and appropriate action as needed.
• Provide technical support for users, application programmers and system analysts for resolving any software, hardware, communications, system resource, security and application problems for the IBM i.
• Coordinate/execute hardware (have at least one major system hardware upgrade, for example POWER7 to POWER8) and software upgrades (done at least one major operating system upgrade for example, i5OS 7.1 or 7.2 to 7.3) in an ongoing process to keep the IBM i current. This includes the installation and configuration of new hardware and software, new releases, fixes and upgrades for the IBM i.
• Interface with software vendors to resolve operating system, third party software and/or application development problems to minimize risk and service disruptions.
• Create and maintain complete documentation as it relates to installation and status of hardware and software.
• Participate in the daily support and annual testing of the high availability mirroring software.
• Coach others, ensure processes and procedures are up to date and followed, facilitate cross training among different teams, manage scheduling, facilitate Major Incident calls with support teams and client representatives.
• Assist in the planning, scheduling, implementation and testing of all 3rd party software upgrades and fixes.
• BS. in Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent work experience in the requested field.
• 5 or more years of experience administering enterprise-level IBM i Power Systems AS400/iSeries
• RFP and CL programming required
• High availability software experience required, SyncSort MIMIX software preferred
• Experience in i5OS upgrades and PTF’s required.
• In depth knowledge of TCP/IP, Telnet, FTP, DDM, HTTP, VPN, routing, switching, DNS, and digital certificates required.
• ServiceNow experience a plus.
• BRMS (in-depth knowledge) configuration and support.
• Help/Systems Robot products a plus.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize tasks.
• Ability to work cooperatively with a team.
• JDE software a plus.
• Five or more years’ experience administering Power Systems environments running IBM i for a multi-system and partitioned environment. Requires in depth experience in the following areas:
o Work Management
o Performance Analysis and Tuning
o Database Management
o Backup and Recovery
o Security and Compliance
o Storage Management
o Journal Management
o Hardware/Software Installation and Maintenance
• Requires occasional travel to company locations.
Jim Jennings 636-484-6869